Highfield Level 2 International Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator
A brief about this Qualification ``Basic Life Support``
This qualification ``Basic Life Support`` is recommended for those who want to understand basic first aid in their workplace and who have an access to a defibrillator.
After successful completion, learners will be able to effectively using CPR and AED machines and knowing as to how both of these form an essential part of the chain of survival.
Delivery and Assessment Ratios
For effective delivery and assessment of this qualification, it is recommended that a ratio of 1 qualified tutor to a maximum of 12 learners in any one instance is not exceeded.
Duration for ``Basic Life Support``
Recommended duration is ½ day (4 hours) for 'Basic Life Support'; however, this may be adjusted in accordance with candidates’ needs.
Multiple-choice theory assessment
Validity Period for ``Basic Life Support``
It is recommended by HABC that the learners refresh their knowledge every year and retake it every 3 years, in order to confirm that they continue to be competent.
The learners should have the necessary standards of the language in which the course is being delivered.
The nominated tutors/assessors should have
• hold a valid and recognized first aid at work certificate or equivalent
• competency in the delivery of first aid training
• competency in the assessment of first aid training
• Knowledge and understanding of how to safely and effectively use an Automated External Defibrillation (AED) machine
Nominated tutors/assessors should also be able to demonstrate relevant experience and knowledge in a work context and provide evidence of engagement with the subject field and continuing professional development.
Tutors/assessors who have evidence of delivering a minimum of 30 hours of accredited formal training per year, in a relevant qualification, may requalify to deliver/assess this and similar qualifications through completion of the qualification assessment only or a reduction in the learning hours, at the
discretion of Highfield.
Each learner’s identification is checked before they can sit the examination/assessment. Following are acceptable as proof of a learner’ Identity:
• National identity card e.g. Emirates ID card
• Valid passport
• Driving licence
• Another photographic ID card, e.g. employee ID card (must be the current employer), student ID card, travel card etc.
Progression and further learning routes include:
• Highfield Level 2 International Award in Paediatric First Aid,
• Highfield Level 2 International Award in Paediatric First Aid and Managing Illness & Injury, and
• Highfield Level 3 International Award in First Aid at Work and The Safe Use of an Automated External Defibrillator.