Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
What is ISO 45001:2018?
As per ILO, more than 7 600 people die daily due to work-related accidents or diseases.
ISO 45001 is an internationally agreed-upon standard, in simple words, a set of international best practices aimed to reduce occupational injuries and diseases, thereby helping both the employers and the economy at the national level due to losses from early retirements, staff absences, and increased insurance premiums.
Which businesses or organizations ISO 45001 is most suitable for?
The simple answer is ALL organizations.
The standard is applicable regardless of the size, type, and nature of products &/or services, so it can be an SME, a global conglomerate, an NGO, a charity, an academic institution, or a government organization.
The cost of poor health and safety standards in the workplace
The absence of effective OHS management systems will lead to an increase in the accidents and ill-health of the workers, resulting in indirect costs such as those arising from:
- Lost &/or delayed production
- Time spent in investigations
- Damage to plant and equipment
- Cleanup activities
- Absences as a result of accident or ill-health
- Recruitment and training of replacement staff and labour
- Action by the regulatory authorities
- The civil claim by the injured parties
- The rise in insurance premiums
There are also indirect costs related to
- Poor staff morale leading to unrest and high turnover rate
- Damage to image & reputation of the organization which can in a loss of orders
The Process (Development & Implementation of OHS Management Systems against ISO 45001:2018)
Gap Analysis against ISO 45001:2018
- Business Excellence' team will conduct an initial assessment/gap analysis according to the scope of services with reference to the STANDARD including office as well as sites
- A comprehensive written report will be presented to the Top Management on the status of the compliance against standard’ requirements in order to know as to what are the gaps
Awareness Training on ISO 45001:2018
- Business Excellence's team will provide awareness training to the key process owners and relevant staff, on the requirements of the standard
- Further to this, they'll explain how these requirements apply to their business
Documentation against ISO 45001:2018
Business Excellence' team will provide full assistance for the development of documentation according to the requirements
These documents will be of different types at different levels (in the order of importance) including policies, manual, system element procedures, and associated 'forms' including RACI matrix, process maps, risks & opportunities register, KPI’s, etc
Business Excellence' team will extend its full support in regards to the implementation of the aforementioned documented management systems in letter and spirit
This may include SWOT analysis, process mapping, setting objectives & targets, development of RACI matrices, training need analysis, internal audit, corrective action including root cause analysis, management review meeting etc
Internal Audit against ISO 45001:2018
- Finally, an internal audit by the 'Business Excellence' team will be performed before third-party arrives
- The detailed report of which shall be submitted to the management and will help rectify the non-conformities & concerns
- However, management to ensure rectification of the identified concerns within the time frame, as agreed
Audit against ISO 45001:2018 by the Certification Body
- The selected third party to review documentation including records
- Lastly, conduct an onsite audit
Closing-out of Non-conformities
- Consequent upon the independent review and assessment by the relevant authority, the corrective action plan to be developed for each of the non-conformities
- Business Excellence to provide guidance to implement the corrective action plan
Key Deliverables (Development & Implementation of Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems against ISO 45001:2018)
Gap Analysis Report against ISO 45001:2018
To evaluate the existing systems to ascertain as to what is in compliance and what're the gaps and submitting a comprehensive report to the client
Documentation Kit (In-line with ISO 45001:2018)
The templates for documents of all types (at all levels) including policies, manuals, system element procedures, work instructions, RACI matrices, forms, process maps, checklist, registers, etc.
Training on ISO 45001:2018
On the requirements of ISO 45001:2018 & relevant sector best practices and how these apply in the context of the business
Review of Documentation and Associated Records
- Business Excellence' team will review each & every provided document prior to finalization
- However, after review by us; the client shall also review these documents prior to approval
Support for Implementation
Business Excellence's team will extend its full support in regards to the implementation of the documented management systems in letter & spirit. This may include SWOT analysis, process mapping, risk assessment, objectives and targets, RACI matrices, training need analysis & training plan, internal audit, corrective action, management review etc
Internal Audit against ISO 45001:2018
An internal audit by Business Excellence' team will be performed before the third-party audit and a detailed report of this shall be submitted to the management in order to help rectify the non-conformities & concerns
Business Excellence' team shall help develop and implement corrective actions to closeout findings consequent upon 3'rd party review &/or assessment till approval of the management systems and issue of the certificate