Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS)
Food Safety Management Systems against ISO 22000
ISO 22000:2018, sets the requirements for any organization in the food chain, for food safety management systems. It describes what is needed by an organization to demonstrate that it’s capable of controlling all kinds of food hazards, thereby ensuring that the food is safe for consumption.
Who benefits from ISO standards for food?
Any entity in the food supply chain including farmer, manufacturer, or retailer, can benefit from establishing and implementing effective management systems in line with ISO 22000 & other best practices.
In addition, these international standards help meet statutory and regulatory requirements.
These standards help regulators in a way that they can rely on proven methods for testing as well as harmonized terminology that are constantly reviewed and improved, as a technical basis for regulation and policy.
From consumers’ point of view, the standards ensure food safety, the accuracy of nutritional labeling, hygienic requirements, additives, and more. This gives them the assurance that the food they consume meets safety standards for safety and quality is as written on the packing.
What are the benefits of food safety management systems established against ISO 22000?
Key potential benefits include:
- Stakes holders mapping – knowing their needs and expectations
- Documentation to the extent needed only – tailored to fit the context of the business
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Risk management in food safety processes in a more systematic way
- Fulfilment of contractual requirements i.e. tender and bidding process
- Systematic development of skills of the staff
- Effective communications – internal and external
- Consistency through standardization of operational processes
- Traceability through monitoring & measuring
- Improvement initiatives through analysis & evaluation, setting objectives, corrective action, awareness & training, effective auditing and effective management reviews
The Process of Development &/or Implementation of FSMS against ISO 22000:2018
Gap Analysis against ISO 22000:2018
- Business Excellence' team will conduct an initial assessment/gap analysis according to the scope of services with reference to the STANDARD including office as well as sites
- A comprehensive written report will be presented to the Top Management on the status of the compliance against standard’ requirements in order to know as to what are the gaps
Awareness Training on ISO 22000:2018 and the Best Practices
- Business Excellence's team will provide awareness training to the key process owners and relevant staff, on the requirements of the standard
- Further to this, they'll explain how these requirements apply to their business
Documentation against ISO 22000:2018
Business Excellence' team will provide full assistance for the development of documentation according to the requirements
These documents will be of different types at different levels (in the order of importance) including policies, manual, system element procedures, and associated 'forms' including RACI matrix, process maps, risks & opportunities register, KPI’s, etc
Support for Implementation of Documented Management Systems
Business Excellence' team will extend its full support in regards to the implementation of the aforementioned documented management systems in letter and spirit
This may include SWOT analysis, process mapping, setting objectives & targets, development of RACI matrices, training need analysis, internal audit, corrective action including root cause analysis, management review meeting etc
Internal Audit against ISO 22000:2018
- Finally, an internal audit by the 'Business Excellence' team will be performed before third-party arrives
- The detailed report of which shall be submitted to the management and will help rectify the non-conformities & concerns
- However, management to ensure rectification of the identified concerns within the time frame, as agreed
Review &/or Audit by the Certification Body against ISO 22000:2018
- The selected third party to review documentation including records
- Lastly, conduct an onsite audit
Closing-out of Non-conformities
- Consequent upon the independent review and assessment by the relevant authority, the corrective action plan to be developed for each of the non-conformities
- Business Excellence to provide guidance to implement the corrective action plan
Key Deliverables (Development &/or Implementation of Food Safety Management Systems against ISO 22000:2018)
Gap Analysis Report against ISO 22000:2018
To evaluate the existing systems to ascertain as to what is in compliance and what're the gaps and submitting a comprehensive report to the client
The templates for documents of all types (at all levels) including policies, manuals, system element procedures, work instructions, RACI matrices, forms, process maps, checklist, registers, etc.
Training on ISO 22000:2018 and Relevant Best Practices
On the requirements of the international standard and how these apply in the context of the business
Review of Documentation (against ISO 22000:2018) and Associated Records
- Business Excellence' team will review each & every provided document prior to finalization
- However, after review by us; the client shall also review these documents prior to approval
Support for Implementation
Business Excellence's team will extend its full support in regards to the implementation of the documented management systems in letter & spirit. This may include SWOT analysis, process mapping, risk assessment, objectives and targets, RACI matrices, training need analysis & training plan, internal audit, corrective action, management review etc
Internal Audit against ISO 22000:2018
Finally, a mock assessment by Business Excellence' team will be performed before the third-party assessment and a detailed report of this shall be submitted to the management in order to help rectify the non-conformities & concerns
Audit by the Certification Body against ISO 22000:2018
The management systems documentation including records shall be submitted to the third-party certification body its review of documentation and on-site audit.
Business Excellence' team shall help develop and implement corrective actions to closeout findings consequent upon 3'rd party review &/or assessment till approval of the management systems and issue of the certificate