FSSC 22000 V 5.1
What's FSSC 22000?
FSSC 22000 is a certification scheme for auditing and certification of Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS), owned by a legal entity under Dutch law, called the Foundation FSSC 22000. The foundation also offers certification for combined FSMS and QMS (abbreviated as FSSC 22000-Quality).
There are 3 required components for this scheme as follows:
- ISO 22000:2018, Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain
- Sector-specific pre-requisite programs (PRPs) e.g. ISO’ technical standards
- FSSC 22000 requirements (additional)
From ISO 22000 to FSSC 22000
When already certified to ISO 22000, an organization only needs additional
- Review of technical specifications for sector PRPs, and
- The FSSC additional requirements to meet all scheme requirements
Benefits of FSSC 22000
The benefits include
- The scheme has the flexibility to cover the entire supply chain.
- It can be easily integrated with any other management system standard e.g. ISO 14001.
- The scheme is globally recognized/accepted.
- Incorporates the international standard ISO 22000 (for Food
Safety Management Systems), which includes the HACCP principles of
Codex Alimentarius, sector-specific pre-requisite program requirements and FSSC 22000 additional requirements.
- Legal compliance, as it requires adherence to relevant national statutory and regulatory requirements.