- Posted on
What is the cost of ISO 9001 certification?
The cost of certification against iso 9001 depends mainly on the audit duration which in turn is calculated according to the IAF MD 5:2019. In this document, the relationship between the audit time (auditor days) and an effective # of personnel has been tabulated. However, this can be adjusted based on the other factors as follows:
Increase in audit time of all management systems:
- complicated logistics involving more than one building or location where work is carried out
- staff speaking in more than one language, hence requiring an interpreter
- very large site for the number of personnel e.g. a forest
- high degree of regulation
- highly complex processes
Decrease in audit time of management systems:
- the is no design function or the client is not design responsible
- a relatively small site for the number of personnel e.g. office complex only
- maturity of the management systems
- prior knowledge of the client management systems e.g. already certified to another standard by the same certification body
- client preparedness for certification e.g. already certified
Note: if the audit is conducted in accordance with IAF MD 11 this justification is invalid as reduction will be calculated from the level of integration.
- high level of automation (not applicable for OH&SMS)
- staff includes a number of people who work “off location” e.g. salespersons, drivers, service personnel, etc. and it is possible to substantially audit compliance of their activities with the system through review of records (not applicable for OH&SMS).
The reduction of audit time of management systems shall not exceed 30% of the times established initially as per IAF MD 5.
- enhanced corporate image and reputation.
- the context of the organization is determined to define as to who might be affected by your work and what they expect from you; this enables you to clearly state objectives and identify new business opportunities.
- put your customers first, making sure you consistently meet their needs and enhance their satisfaction; this in turn will lead to repeat customers.
- work in a more efficient and effective way as all your processes will be aligned and understood by everyone in the organization; this increases productivity and brings internal costs down.
- meet the necessary statutory and regulatory requirements.
- expand into new markets, as some sectors and clients require ISO 9001 for registration and/or participation in the tendering process.
- identify and address the risks and opportunities pertaining to your business.
- better communication and awareness among staff through process mapping, defined hierarchy, and job descriptions; this improves the working atmosphere, reduces the pressure of work and hence more involvement of staff.
- through monitoring, measurement, analysis, and evaluation, you’ll have data on your hands that will help you in facts-based decision-making.
- continual improvement is inherent in this standard.